Thursday 13 September 2012

Final call


So my time here is not quite up, but it’s drawing to a close. I know it’s only been eight weeks, but I’m still very sad. I’ve promised countless times to so many people that I’ll be back, and I can’t imagine failing to keep that promise. My school even offered me a permanent job here, but I figured that I should at least finish my degree before I go gallivanting around Asia on a more permanent basis.

I didn’t get a particularly impressive tan this summer (bar standing next to Neil), I didn’t go to an official Full Moon Party, I didn’t undertake a soul- searching self- discovery mission…. but my time here has wildly exceeded anything I could have imagined. I’ll never forget these past two months, the ‘Mai Pen Rai’ approach to life, and all the lovely people I’ve met. Whilst the appeal of teaching in the UK is now even further beyond my comprehension, I’ve been surprised at how much I’ve enjoyed the actual teaching aspect here. This can, to a large extent, be attributed to Piyabut School, my beyond amazing mentor, Nipa and the willingness of the majority of the students to learn. I’ve been very lucky with how everything has turned out, and I can honestly say that I have (post- Chanthaburi), loved every day here.

Whole school assembly 'The Line'


Participating in a pilot programme of such magnitude was never going to be easy; a reality that apparently ran contrary to the Thai Ministry of Education’s levels of planning and preparation. The British Council and my fellow ETAs have coped fantastically well with all manner of obstacles; from monsoons, to stray tukays, to the word ‘assistant’ being eternally buried in translation. I for one really hope the project does go ahead next year. In a nation which is clearly vying for more international recognition, especially with ASEAN coming to the forefront, it is very much a necessity that practical English language skills are nurtured from a young age. Sixty seven English Teaching Assistants does not sound especially significant, especially considering how sparsely we have been distributed across the country, however, it is a step in the right direction.
English is currently taught in schools from a fairly young age and the there’s no denying the fact that at Piyabut, the students are unbelievable at spelling and regurgitating pre-fabricated sentences.  Obviously I can’t generalise and assume knowledge of the entire Thai education system, but my experiences in Ban Mi have highlighted how little the students actually understand. On the one hand, they might be able to read a whole passage about a bird that can sew, or a tortoise laying its eggs, but the students never really seemed to engage with what they were ‘learning’.

I may not be an actual teacher, but undisputedly, my proudest moment at Piyabut School was that moment when I realised the massive contrast between the teaching methods we witness being employed in class now, compared with those that were used prior to mine and Katherine’s arrivals. Before, the teachers would stand at the front of the classroom and drone monotonously into a microphone for an hour. Half the students would have their heads on the desk and the other half would be outside playing football. Now, when we walk down the hallway, we can hear the students very much involved in their lessons; repeating words, talking to each other, and playing games. In terms of the quantifiable impact of our efforts here, this far exceeds any expectations I might have previously had. The fact that we were able to influence the very technique that the Thai teachers use in a mere eight weeks, suggests that as the project expands, the effects of the Teach in Thailand programme are likely to be significantly more far- reaching than might have at first been anticipated. It is one thing for a Thai student in a remote area of Thailand to be taught by farang and to have some nice photos of the foreigner teachers to put up on Facebook. It is another entirely to be able to cut to the core of the challenges that are faced in teaching English across Thailand.

(Neils, Sheree and I: A visit to Ban Mi Wittaya)

Welcome to Ban Mi!

Mattiyam 5/2

Mattiyam 5/3

Katherine, myself, and some of the teachers at Piyabut School
Saying a last goodbye to Mattiyam 2. The class gave me a bunch of roses, numerous cards, a handmade plant and a sketch as parting gifts. Adorable!

Hometime! Students and one of the many resident dogs outside Piyabut School


For me, it’s been an unrivalled experience, and whilst I sincerely hope the intended five hundred (!) participants next year do not bear the brunt of similar teething problems, I would nonetheless not hesitate to recommend the British Council’s Teach in Thailand programme. 

Koh Samet: A return to Thailand is definitely on the horizon!

No comments:

Post a Comment