Thursday 13 September 2012

The Bangkok Six


And so began another chapter of my Thai adventure. The British Council sent a car and by five o’ clock I had bid farewell to my well- intentioned, but now, incredibly sulky mentor. I breathed perhaps the biggest sigh of relief in my life, aware that any mention of the place ‘Chanthaburi’ would forever conjure up notions of hysteria and utter hopelessness. On a more positive note, at least I saw a part of Thailand further off the beaten track; my short spell there did confirm what I had been told. It really is a beautiful region. 

During the five hour journey back to Bangkok, I couldn’t help but reflect on how lucky I had been. In recent years, the internet has obviously facilitated travel and especially working holidays, which has increased the number of Brits who accept jobs in remote locations abroad. It struck me how easy it is to manipulate a situation, and how inherently dangerous it is to just jump at any opportunity, without doing the appropriate research beforehand. With no access to transport links, total reliance on one person (who was realistically still a stranger to me), and zero ability to communicate with anyone around me, the intervention of the British Council prevented what really could have deteriorated into a situation that doesn’t bear thinking about. It might seem dramatic, but never in all my life have I felt so out of my depth. Having always landed on my feet when travelling alone before, despite not paying a whole lot of attention to organisation or forward planning; I was perhaps naïve in assuming that everything would always work out. In hindsight, I’m thankful that I’ve had this experience now, and whilst I’m not going to claim that I am now a changed person, I think it did succeed in opening my eyes to the dangers of just rushing headlong into things. Who knows, maybe I’ve even become a more sensible person these last two months.

 On the journey back to Bangkok, I was lucky enough to receive a four hour private Thai lesson from my driver Pin, which has proved invaluable throughout my time here. We also stopped off en route and she introduced to me a whole range of Thai delicacies over coffee, including durian, various dried fruits and sticky rice from a bamboo cane. The sticky rice is prepared with coconut milk, banana, red beans, and of course sugar, and is still one of the best things I have ever tasted. My journey back with this lovely woman was just so unexpectedly nice, and yet another example of the infamous Thai hospitality.

Realising that I was actually back in Bangkok a mere thirty two hours after I had left it was a little surreal, all things considered. Being met with the shell- shocked expressions of five fellow evacuee ETAs was strangely comforting, and we spent many hours recounting our similarly extreme, but differing accounts of mosquito- ridden wooden shacks, oppressive nunneries, and security- less glass buildings. Del at the British Council was absolutely amazing during our time in Bangkok, and I am so grateful for his continued support throughout our time here in Thailand. He has the ability to make light of any situation, yet at the same time, immediately setting about finding a solution. His attitude to problem- solving represents a third way, somehow managing to embrace the more intense determined- not- to- be- in- the- dark British way, and yet also the omnipresent  ‘Mai Pen Rai’ culture that permeates Thai society.

And so we became the Bangkok 6. We were determined to make the most of our extra few days in Bangkok, yet at the same time waiting for news, like conscripts waiting to be called up.   

Ten hours after having been notified that my new placement was to be in Lop Buri province, half of the Bangkok 6 boarded the bus to the next seven weeks of our lives.

After a standard breakfast of pork and rice, Chelsea and Amy were ushered off the bus and it was at this point that I met my mentor, Nipa, who had come to pick me up along with another ETA, Katherine, whom I would be working and living with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment